Occupy Wall Street is a leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants.
This #ows movement empowers real people to create real change from the bottom up. We want to see a general assembly in every backyard, on every street corner because we don’t need Wall Street and we don’t need politicians to build a better society.
Currently in the US, the top 1% of the population control the majority of the nation’s wealth while the rest of the 99% struggle to get by.
Inspired by the Occupy Wall Street protests that continue in NY, where what began as hundreds of out of work college graduates turned into thousands of protesters from all walks of life, Occupy McAllen brings those same issues, as well as the Valley’s unique set of challenges to the growing national movement.
While no one set of demands are set forth, the growing occupy movement is progressing one No and many Yes’s–One resounding No to corporate driven society and democracy, and increasing inequality in the US that is destroying both our communities and the earth. At the same time, our many Yes’s advocate for freedom, liberty, equality, democracy, the protection of the earth and for the dignity of all its inhabitants.
Occupy McAllen will continue and extrapolate on the ideas and strategies being used throughout the occupy movement to organize and face the unique challenges our community faces in the Rio Grande Valley.
OccupyMcAllen will peacefully protest with the rest of the world against corruption and greed.
Please work with us and make let’s make the revolution heard.